Saturday, May 11, 2013

Wonderfully Woozy



We had our very first dress rehearsal today for The Drowsy Chaperone! There I am, all dolled up as the Chaperone herself. I wish my hair looked like that all the time. 

Playing this role has been quite the adventure for me. Drowsy, who is played by the fictional über-diva Beatrice Stockwell (think a 1920s Patti Lupone), is a cartoon character in many ways. I spend the entire show with an alcoholic beverage in one hand, making cynical quips, and showing off my newly harnessed belting abilities. 

Whenever I play a new character, I find myself becoming more like my character in real life. For example, in becoming Drowsy, I've become more of a diva. I walk with a little bit more confidence and I don't give a crap what others might be thinking. If I'm having a good time, I'm doing it right.

In the free time I had between getting into costume and getting my places call, I had a minor panic attack. Summer's going to suck if I can't do theatre! I applied for an internship at the American Repertory Theatre, but it didn't work out, and I hadn't done anything about it since then. But sitting there in my costume and feeling the pre-show adrenaline rushing through my veins, I realized that I have to find an excuse to spend my days working on a show whenever possible, and this summer is no exception! 

I pulled together two more internship applications during the show call and now am crossing my fingers. It's really tough, trying to catch a break in this world. Theatre (like any profession, I suppose), is mostly about who you know. I can't help but be frustrated when despite my being more qualified, I was denied an internship that my friend (then a high school junior) got thanks to his grandmother calling in a favor. 

I won't be dissuaded, though. Nothing will keep me out of the theatre for long. Even if I have to go to every theatre company in Boston this summer with a resume, cover letter, a headshot and a smile, I will find some small slip of opportunity. 

There's my advice for today, kiddies. If you want something, don't let anything stop you from going for it. Rejection is part of this great game we call life, and if you can learn to handle that, you're all set! Worst case scenario: you hear the word "no." So what? That just opens you up to go find someone else who might just say "yes."

0 comments:

Post a Comment